Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The sickness caught up with me in Cusco

I guess it was bound to happen. And I definitely helped it along by staying out until 4 in the morning before catching my 8:30 am flight to Cusco. I was already starting to feel a little under the weather and was considering not going out salsa dancing, but Gean Carlo wouldn't have any of it and insisted we would be home by 1 am. Yeah right- I should really know better by now. We did have a pretty amazing time though: we went to some salsa club with a live band and Gean Carlo's friend Orlando came, who used to teach salsa in Argentina (!!) I wasn't really into it at first and it took a couple of drinks to help me forget about feeling sick and start dancing properly. But there was no looking back, and before we knew it it was almost 3:30 am! We got home, I packed my bag, barely slept and then headed off to the airport.

The flight to Cusco wasn't very long and I was there by 10 am. A few days before, Gean Carlo had helped me book a little tourist package (he insisted it was the best way to go since I only had a limited time in Cusco) and so there was even someone there at the airport to pick me up. That afternoon I was meant to go on my "City Tour" of Cusco, but opted out and thought it would be better to get some rest. Sure enough I slept on and off from about 10:30 am to almost 8 pm when I thought it would be a good idea to go find some food. I slept again through to almost 3 am when I couldn't really sleep anymore. That was okay though because I was being picked up at 6 am to make the journey to Machu Picchu on the train. Although I still wasn't quite feeling 100%, I definitely appreciated that extra sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment